The WIOGEN Network will kick off with a conference on the 7th and 8th of November 2019. This conference will be an opportunity to identify the priority objectives for the network and how to most effectively undertake the project activities to maximise the opportunities for science to policy work in the region.
There are a number of activities planned for the network over the next 2 years which will be designed by network members tending to their needs and the needs of the region. The activities aim to foster collaborative efforts and encourage intra-regional and inter-regional (East Africa –Europe) exchanges. Activities planned for the network include:
- Joint publishing and production of science advice for policy makers;
- Knowledge exchanges –opportunities to visit partner institutions with the aim of preparing a publication out of the visit;
- Three training schools ;
- Virtual learning platforms;
- Showcasing of early career scientists;
- Encouraging development of female marine scientists.